Friday, September 17, 2004

PITY FOR MR. JACKSON...

I was reading a post on my favorite blog once again, Lashawn Barber's Corner where she blogged about abortion, particularly among black women. What stood out to me though was a reference she made about Jesse Jackson and his stance on abortion. Apparently there was a time when this man had at least some semblance of a conscience. He wrote a 1977 article entitled "How we respect life is the over-riding moral issue", where he contends that abortion is wrong becuase it violates the sanctity of human life. I clicked on the link and read the entire article and was amazed at the eloquence and logic that he used. It was quite impressive I must say. I am no great orator or philosopher, but, I do recognize sound reasoning when I read it. This was a far cry from the rhythm, rhyming speeches and over the top oratory I've seen him do growing up.

It just so happens I just finished reading a book called Shakedown, Exposing the real Jesse Jackson which chronicles Mr. Jackson's career as a "shakedown artist" in corporate America and our U.S. government. It was quite depressing to say the least, there were times while reading it I had to simply put the book down and calm down for a while. Yet, after reading this article he wrote back in 1977, I find myself actually having pity for him. I feel as if this man is so lost and trapped by his own sinful foolishness that I cannot be angry with him any longer, I simply desire to pray that he will in some way, truly repent and turn away from his wrong doing. I honestly pity this man for what he has become.

Just imagine the impact he could have had on the pro-life movement had he not been a coward and flip-flopped on the issue? Just to run for President at that, shameful! I almost found it hard to believe that such a man could have written such things. I found this statement in his article particularly moving and to me, hits the nail on the head in regards to many of the other issues I've brought up here. In addressing the excuse used that the men are not responsible and will not take care of the child, therefore a woman is justified in aborting he writes...

If that is the problem, then deal with making him responsible. Deal with what you are dealing with, not with the weak, innocent and unprotected baby.


He goes on, in what I think is a brilliant tie-in to scripture...
The essence of Jesus' message dealt with this very problem -- the problem of the inner attitude and motivation of a person. "If in your heart . . ." was his central message.


Then he brings it back to a logical premise...
The actual abortion (effect) is merely the logical conclusion of a prior attitude (cause) that one has toward life itself. Deal with the cause not merely the effect when abortion is the issue.


Plain and simple. I must admit, I am impressed, yet incredibly disappointed. Seeing the type of man that Jesse Jackson has become leads me to a profound conclusion. That when we are distracted by this world and allow ourselves to become enveloped in our own sinfulness, we miss out on our true calling in life. I truly believe that Mr. Jackson is missing out big time!

No comments: