Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Mr. Mfume On The O'Rielly Factor

This is an email I sent to the O'Rielly Factor show after viewing an interview by NAACP President and CEO, Kweisi Mfume regarding the rejection by President Bush to attending the NAACP convention. I did not believe the interview was genuine and decided to comment on it to Mr. O'Rielly. Hopefully he will read it and give it due diligence in considering my opinion.


Mr. O'Rielly, I was very disappointed with the interview you had with Mr. Mfume of the NAACP. You seemed pusillanimous and almost apologetic to him for having to deal with the rejection by President Bush. While I would agree that the NAACP has done great things for Civil rights in the past, within recent years they have become more of an outdated and irrelevant organization that panders to the left wing of politics. Mr. Mfume himself is one that does not have an honorable reputation within the black community at large. While the NAACP is supposed to be officially non-partisan, Mr. Bond and Mr. Mfume respectively have gone on record bashing and insulting the intelligence of the black conservative, including Mfume accusing white conservatives of using black conservatives as pawns to attack black civil rights groups. This is preposterous at best. In such statements these men assume the proverbial black "group think" mentality and present to the media at large that the NAACP represents the interests and ideologies of all black people, I assure you they do not. They continue to use race baiting tactics in order to divide Americans, keep whites fearful, and blacks from thinking for themselves. The truth is President Bush does not need to attend an NAACP event to win the black vote. Thinking that attending a civil rights organizational event will win black votes is dishonest and disrespectful of all blacks. Being a good candidate and campaigning on the right platforms that appeal to the general interest of all Americans, and blacks in particular, will win votes for Bush and the Republican party. Continuing to pander to minority organizations for the sake of votes is demeaning. I applaud the President for not attending.

I have great respect for you sir and enjoy your commentaries and talking points immensely, yet I am greatly disturbed by your lack of honesty in dealing with Mr. Mfume. When addressing his remarks regarding the so called "prostitution" of blacks, you practically put words into his mouth, seemingly, to avoid having him give account for his own words and deeds. I was amazed! I thought to myself, isn't this the no spin zone? If you ask someone what they meant by something they stated, allow them to give account for what they meant without first qualifying a statement and then allowing them to agree with you. I found this to be quite disingenuous.

I am sure you will disagree with me and disregard this email as it is critical of you as well as Mr. Bond and Mr. Mfume, but I had to address this issue with you for the sake of my own conscience. I would suggest in the future Mr. O, that if you are not ready to face so called black leaders head on without spin, that you avoid interviewing them on your show. You are a good man sir, do not let white fear keep you from revealing the truth about black people, including such monolithic organizations as the NAACP, who continue to pander to the immoral aspects of the black community without addressing real problems with real, tangible solutions.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment.

Jerry McClellan
http://jmcclellan.blogspot.com
Chatsworth, CA.

P.S. Just for the record, I am a black man.

3 comments:

c77m said...

From all I've heard and seen, I don't think the current NAACP leadership even remotely represents its membership. I don't believe for a second that the average NAACP member supports racism and bigotry like the organization's leadership promotes. I don't know what these leaders are trying to accomplish, but it sure doesn't seem that they are working towards the social advancement of their demographics.

Jerry McClellan said...

What is sad is that here you have, once again, white people being afraid to confront them head on and tell them the truth. This is part of the reason why the NAACP continues to get away with such behavior. Being accused of being a racist carries a powerful stigma.

Anonymous said...

Well thot out. I know Mr. O likes to keep it pithy, but who knows. Keep us posted.

Andy